Improving Conservation Status of the GTB – vulnerable specie in the Anjar Hima (Jan – December 2012)
Project Goal: To contribute to the conservation of the Syrian Serin globally threatened bird species in Lebanon
Project objective:To improve the conservation status of the globally threatened Syrian Serin and its habitat at Hima Anjar
– Draft a Syrian Serin preliminary action plan in collaboration with Anjar municipality and relevant local community groups.
– Develop educational material and activities related to the ecological assets of the region (Syrian Serin, sustainable hunting practices, forests) and the threats in the region.
– Raise awareness among relevant stakeholders with special focus on school children in Anjar village and the Bekaa valley (training teachers in around 7 schools).
– Initiate a site support group / Local conservation group from Anjar community with special focus on the Syrian Serin and the Anjar Hima.
– Build the capacity of the site support group through training on bird identification, bird watching and monitoring.
– Development a pamphlet for Anjar Hima highlighting its assets and attractions (especially Syrian Serin and the forest).