Educational Officer Job Description
SPNL, the BirdLife national partner in Lebanon, aims at protecting nature, birds, and biodiversity in Lebanon and to promote sustainable use of natural resources with people through reviving the concept of Al Hima.
SPNL since 2014 started a program under the name of SNOW “School With No Walls” to promote environmental education and awareness especially for kids from age 8-13 years old.
Recently SPNL opened a conservation center in Hima Kayfoun under the name of Mount Lebanon Hima Center – MLHC located on the most important bottleneck for autumn migratory soaring birds.
The center aims at spreading awareness and appreciation of nature, and inspiring people and especially kids to connect with nature and wildlife towards sustainable practices and biodiversity conservation through offering environmental and awareness activities and organizing natural, cultural, motivational, and educational tailor made programs and packages for schools and students.
The center also aims at promoting eco-tourism in the 21 different Hima sites in Lebanon, important bird areas (IBAs), in addition to other remarkable sites of high cultural and natural importance.
An educational officer is needed.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Identify list of relevant themes for educational programme at MLHC
- Explore and develop educational material per themes
- Identify best tools to address school students “Learning by doing in a fun approach”
- Transform educational material into interactive tools & activities
- Design and develop innovative tools/activities (linked to the delineated trail in the village and assets of the center)/games/video/stories….
- Develop educational packages for schools
- Market the developed packages through developing communicational material (brochures, posters, posts on social media, website, newsletter…)
- Develop linkages with various school systems and educational institutions to promote environmental education and awareness activities
- Meet the top schools in Beirut and the different schools in Alay region to market the offered packages and services of the center
- Develop teacher training material
- Perform outdoor excursions
- Network with the different Hima sites
- Liaising with voluntary/community groups and other local organizations
- Write plans, reports, and press releases
- Organize school visits
- Manage budgets
- Attend and organize environmental & educational awareness workshops
- Communicate with the Ministry of Education and other relevant authorities regarding the educational program and its activities
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Director of the center whereby additional responsibilities will develop as the program progresses
Skills and Qualifications:
- Applicants must have completed a Bachelor’s degree in education or an environmental or wildlife conservation-related field
- Relevant experience in environmental awareness and the educational sector especially with kids
- High communication and creativity skills to interact and engage with students of different ages in different fields
- The ability to communicate effectively in presentations, workshops and outdoor excursions
- Excellent organizational and time management skills to coordinate with schools and manage the educational program in a successful way
- The ability to relate to people of all ages
- Work in close to the director of the center and reports to her on frequent basis
- Fluency in both written and spoken English and Arabic. French is a plus.
- Proficient computer skills including good knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PPTs, and internet programs
- Must have a commitment to and enthusiasm for environmental conservation and sustainable development
- Willingness to learn and contribute to the educational program development. He/She should be a team player, committed to the overall mission of SPNL.
Job Location: Kayfoun- Mount Lebanon (Alay District)
Working Hours: Monday-Friday (9:30 am – 4:00 pm)/Saturdays when needed
Salary: to be discussed
Nationality: Lebanese and preferably from Alay region
Start date: As soon as possible
Contact person name: Amer Al Saidi