Assad Serhal the Director-General of SPNL (Birdlife Lebanon) participated in the Birdlife 65th Global Council Meeting held from 17th – 19th June 2019 at David Attenborough Building, Cambridge, UK
BirdLife International is the world’s largest Partnership of national civil society nature
Conservation organizations and the world leader in bird conservation, represented in 118 countries and territories around the world. Its unique local-to-global approach delivers high impact and long-term conservation for the benefit of nature and people.
BirdLife is governed by a Council of Trustees elected by its national Partners according to their geographical distribution. The regions represented are Africa, Americas, Asia, Europe & Central Asia, Middle East, and the Pacific.BirdLife Council, therefore, includes an impressive representation of conservation leaders from some of the most active and successful national nature conservation organizations around the world.
BirdLife Council meets twice a year to combine the business meeting of the Trustees with other events.
BirdLife is governed by an elected Global Council made up of CEOs from across the whole Partnership. Every 5 years the Partnership elects their regional representatives on Council from among their Partners with an external Chair and Treasurer – 17 people in total.
In an interactive workshop in Cambridge, the council presented examples of the challenges faced and how collaboration with the private and public sectors have helped to mitigate or resolve the threats in Birdlife projects.
After a welcome speech from Birdlife director, Patricia Zurita. The council approved the Minutes from the 64th & 63rd Global Council Meetings. In addition to updating on the outstanding Action Points and Decisions from previous meetings.
The council also discussed the following:
- ACCEPTANCE OF GLOBAL PARTNERSHIP MEETING REPORT
- AUDIT FINDINGS AND APPROVAL OF 2018 ACCOUNTS
- REPORT FROM THE FINANCE COMMITTEE ON THE 2019 FINANCES AND CASH FLOW
- UPDATE ON SYSTEMS REVIEW
- UPDATE ON IMPLICATIONS OF BREXIT
- INTRODUCTION TO PROCESS FOR THE ELECTION OF THE NEW TREASURER
- UPDATE FROM GLOBAL ADVISORY GROUP
- UPDATE ON NEXT STEPS IN IMPLEMENTING THE FUNDING MODEL & REPORT FROM THE FUNDRAISING COMMITTEE
- REPORT FROM THE PEOPLE COMMITTEE
- DISCUSSION AND CONFIRMATION OF COUNCIL PERFORMANCE METRICS
- REGIONAL INPUT FROM ALL 6 REGIONS
- THE BIRDLIFE GEOGRAPHIC FOOTPRINT
- PARTNER UPGRADES FROM ECA AND THE MIDDLE EAST
- OPEN SPACE PRESENTATION & DISCUSSION – POST-2020 AGENDA
- UPDATE ON 2018 PROGRAMME REPORT AND PROGRESS WITH 2019 PROGRAMME PRIORITIES
- DISCUSSION AND REVIEW OF DRAFT COMMUNICATIONS PLAN
- PLANS FOR THE GLOBAL PARTNERSHIP MEETING
- CELEBRATING 100TH YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF BIRDLIFE INTERNATIONAL
- OPEN SPACE PRESENTATION & DISCUSSION – NEXT BIRDLIFE STRATEGY